Preparatory Crash Study course in Literature for High Faculty Students in the Philippines11 min read
In the Philippines these days the length of Most important and Secondary educational facilities is currently being debated whether to include a further two extra several years in the regular 6 yrs principal and 4 several years secondary, creating secondary also 6 years for a total of twelve many years in planning to higher education schooling. Faculty principals and instructors alike are divided. Having to pay mom and dad in the privates faculties are resistant whilst even non-shelling out mom and dad in the public faculties raise their brows on the system of the authorities. Several sectors concern the method for that would suggest having to pay a lot more and staying more time in university. Mom and dad want their little ones to end college ideal away so that their young children can assistance them reduce their poverty. So what is actually the use of including a long time in the 100-calendar year prolonged academic method when Filipino graduates all about the planet are competitive. Below is a proposal dependent from a examine the author carried out on the Language and Literature plan of Famy Countrywide Large University Laguna, Philippines on the achievable remedy to aid the absence of college students planning and publicity to Literature prior to they go to tertiary or bigger training sans the problem of including amount of years in the secondary school.
Soon after scanning the ecosystem of the pupils, teachers and the materials available in Famy National Substantial College in Laguna Philippines they each utilised when they experienced the English 4, the proponent noticed the demands to get ready the clean graduates from the Famy National Large College by providing a preparatory crash course method in Literature to prepare them for the calls for and rigors of school Literature courses.
The fourth-yr large college pupils did not have ample publicity in mastering Literature due to the fact the ebook they employed entitled Shifting Forward in English published in 1999 which was framed on integrative solution hence, mastery of the 4 macro skills was emphasised all over the yr. The lessons they had in Literature was a mixed of World Literature, Asian Literature and Philippine Literature given immediately after each lesson. Their exposure on Literature was not primarily based on a strong foundation because the target was extra on language and not on Literature. Out of 7 classes, just one was only offered to Literature with questions concentrating on the ethical or didactic classes. The pupils themselves appeared at Literature as springboard lessons to language classes with out worth for it as an artwork kind.
The two teachers on their own assigned in training the fourth 12 months were being passionate instructors teaching the language classes but they turn out to be a lot less energetic when they attain the Literature lessons for the reason that college students did not go through. 1 teacher was BSE major in English graduate from Union College or university of Sta. Cruz, Laguna and the other was device earner in Education and learning with a Bachelor’s degree in Accountancy. Each rarely show up at seminars on the latest developments and troubles in instructing Literature due to the fact of the scarcity of financial aid from the college. As a result, their knowledge and techniques were based mostly from their previous undergraduate schema.
With these troubles, the proponent certainly noticed the requirements of getting ready the learners by way of a crash course program in Literature with the following explanations:
1. tell students about the fundamentals of Literature they by no means experienced in higher university 2. talk about literature, not as a springboard of language classes, but as it is as an art 3. prepare college students to the requires of Literature classes in College or university and 4. immerse college students on the latest developments, approaches and troubles in studying Literature.
B. DESCRIPTION OF THE Program: The crash course application in Literature principally aims to get ready the incoming freshmen to College or university Literature courses that they under no circumstances acquired or encountered significantly in superior faculty, not simply because they ended up not taught, but because the strategy then was integrative of the 4 macro expertise and Literature was applied as springboard to language classes. The crash system discusses the fundamental principles of Literature from concepts, theories, use of procedures, traits and problems in understanding literature utilized completely in training the pupils. The plan is only a crash training course to be shipped in 45 several hours with 3 hours for every lesson. The fifteen-day periods either in MWF (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) or TThS (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) schedules are devoted to classroom discussion and other the latest things to do that culminate in a range show of poetry recitation, dramatization and choral recitation, activities which are also executed in faculty. It is in MWF or TThS routine to give learners time to read through and achieve their assignments on the classes in advance of coming to class.
C. PROPONENT OF THE System The proponent of the plan is Wilfredo M. Valois who is a present student in Doctor of Philosophy important in Literature at the Philippine Normal College, Manila. He has been instructing Literature subjects at the Royal and Pontifical College of Sto. Tomas (UST), Manila for twelve (12) a long time. He has taught topics like Philippine Literature in English, Introduction to Literature and Classical Earth Literature.
D. FRAMEWORK OF THE Method With the introduction of engineering exclusively the television, radio and web, men and women have develop into fewer receptive to what is likely on all around them, rather, they grow to be much more dependent on what they enjoy, they see and what they listen to alternatively than what they browse. People’s vision is blurred by the consolation what technological innovation presents them hence forgetting the benefit of reading through, the value of Literature. In the academe, with the emphasis on the communicative competence and other ever-transforming techniques and theories, the instructing and understanding of Literature is normally dwarfed, minimized or even deserted by numerous universities.
Carolina Garcia and Ophelia Diamante reminded audience that Literature have to tell and entertain. A good literature ought to be in a position to awaken people today from ignorance to enlightenment. On top of that, they stated that literature will have to have intellectual price, emotional value, non secular benefit, universality, permanence, type and most of all artistry.
In the same way, Edilberto Tiempo says that literature or excellent literature is supposed to go, it have to seduce but a work’s emotive quality need to not assault the sensibility, it should be ungirded by reasonableness, by logic, it need to complement and fulfill the intellect, it will have to have the inevitability.
The standards on how the literary choices in this crash class software on Literature were primarily based from Jose Garcia Villa’s conditions as cited by Edilberto K. Tiempo’s recommendations on what need to be integrated in any anthology of Literature. They are material and sort. Jose Garcia villa stated that he followed double common of variety and compound. Compound calls for vitality of matter and important selection of info. Authentic material is reached only when a pulse beats as a result of the correlated points, for important material by yourself, if without having defeat of everyday living, remain useless compound. To accomplish validity, hence, material in fiction need to be dwelling as effectively as considerable. The second test is kind. It needs vigor of framework although form and material in literature are a imaginative a single and they are indivisible, still they are distinctive. Thus producing possible this take a look at of kind. Form, in literature, is the sufficient and stunning externalization of material. It is not restrictive, mold, but is free of charge, however artistically disciplined presentation of material.
Literature liberates the brain and spirit as one reads by the pages. The experience one has in looking at a portray, listening to a classical new music or a moving functionality in a theatre is comparable to the looking through of a literary text. It moves the head to consider critically. It touches the coronary heart with that emotive electricity when 1 reads poetry or reads a perform. All these results and additional are professional by readers or learners which include the enthusiasts when they are arrested by potent literary texts with attractive kind and compound.
Literature is an instrument to fight illiteracy. People today have come to be dependent on going shots and flashed things that they have a tendency to study a lot less. Persons have develop into lazy audience if not none visitors at all, hence elevating our status of illiteracy. Thanks to the government’s effort and hard work in putting Alternative Studying Method or ALS in numerous municipalities and barangays the place instructors educate the illiterates. But the initiatives are geared to economic and not creative. That’s why, the debate on the conflict between “artwork for art’s sake” (autonomy of the art) and “art for social awareness” (proletariat literature) is the moment once more higher. The crash training course delivers an reply to this discussion as it hinges on bridging the gap and conflict amongst the autonomy of art and social awakening by providing learners the inventive literary texts that will give them at the exact time an awakening along the way in the review of literatures.
The method is intended to meet up with the demands set by the Commission on Higher Education and learning (CHED) to give at least 6 models of Literature programs throughout self-discipline in the general education. Namely, the two courses are Introduction to Environment Literatures and Regional Philippines Literatures. That when they carry on to school training, incoming freshmen will be far more than ready to deal with the requires of the Literature programs with no insecurity and ignorance because of to lack of exposure and instruction in literatures.
E. Objectives: At the conclude of the crash system, incoming freshmen are anticipated to: 1. Outline the this means of literature 2. Differentiate fiction and non-fiction 3. Enumerate the five genres of literature 4. Examine and contrast the functions of narrative and poetry 5. Draw or diagram the framework of a narrative plot 6. Go through a poem with emotions in accordance to its type 7. Make clear the figures of speech applied in the texts 8. Identify figures in the shorter tale, novel or drama 9. Describe the setting in the limited tale, novel or drama 10. Organize reasonable sequence of plot in the limited tale, novel or drama 11. Synthesize themes from the texts 12. Trace the results in and results of actions of people in the texts 13. Enjoy the textual content the tradition of a nation 14. Establish an creator and his/her work 15. Assess a textual content using diverse strategies in comprehension literature 16. Create a critique on the assigned literary textual content 17. Recite successfully and individually a poem 18. Dramatize properly scenes from the textual content 19. Mount a variety exhibit highlighting poetry recitation, dramatization and choral recitation.
F. Study course Articles: The crash program contains excerpts from Literature classes that Commission on Higher Education CHED has mandated what each college or university university student should just take across willpower. Specifically they are:
LITERATURE 1: Regional Philippine Literatures
This study course provides a study of entire world literatures representing a gamut of human encounters as exemplified in unique literary sorts and varieties.
LITERATURE 2: Introduction to Planet Literatures
This training course introduces learners to consultant literatures from the regions tackling the extensive array of Filipino encounters and ordeals as these are expressed through themes these kinds of as gender, racial id, class and record
G. MATRIX OF COMPETENCIES/Targets AND THEIR CORRESPONDING Classes:
1. Define the indicating of literature Lesson on Introduction to Literature 2. Differentiate fiction and non-fiction Lesson on Introduction to Literature 3. Enumerate the 5 genres of literature Lesson on introduction to Literature 4. Examine and contrast the functions of narrative and poetry Lesson on Introduction to Literature 5. Draw or diagram the construction of a narrative plot Lesson on Introduction to Literature 6. Go through a poem with emotions according to its sort Lesson on Poetry 7. Describe the figures of speech applied in the texts Lesson on Poetry 8. Recognize people in the short tale, novel or drama Lesson in Fiction 9. Describe the location in the quick tale, novel or drama Lesson in Fiction 10. Prepare reasonable sequence of plot in the brief tale, novel or drama Lesson in Fiction 11. Synthesize themes from the texts All classes 12. Trace the will cause and effects of steps of characters in the texts All classes 13. Value the textual content the lifestyle of a country All lessons 14. Determine an creator and his/her work All classes 15. Assess a text working with diverse strategies in understanding literature
All lessons 16. Compose a critique on the assigned literary textual content lessons in poetry, short tale, novel, drama and essay 17. Recite affectively and individually a poem Lesson on Poetry 18. Dramatize correctly scenes from the textual content Lesson on Fiction 19. Mount a wide range present highlighting poetry recitation, dramatization and choral recitation. All classes
H. SYLLABUS ON THE CRASH System Program IN LITERATURE
Written content/ Subjects Instructing/Mastering Routines Time Allotment 1. An Overview on Literature a. Definition b. Explanations why we research literature
Team function brainstorming Dialogue Timeline
3 several hours
2. Types of Literature a. Fiction and non-fiction b. According to international locations c. According to classification Library research Buzz team dialogue Jigsaw puzzle Diagramming
3. 7 (7) specifications of good Literature a. Samples for just about every exemplifying every standard
Pair get the job done Collage Poster-building 3 hrs
4. Genres of Literatures a. Poetry b. Short story c. Novel d. Drama e. essay Popcorn dialogue Diagramming Assumed bubbles 3 several hours
5. Poetry a. Character and types b. Things c. Figures of speech Lecture Chanting Diagramming 3 several hours
6. Examining and analyzing of samples of poetry a. “God Mentioned I built a Person” by Jose Garcia Villa b. “The Guy of Earth” by Amador T. Daguio c. “Si Lola Isyang at ang Matandang Puno ng Kaimito” d. “Stopping By the Woods on a Snowy Night” by Robert Frost e. “I am No one” by Emily Dickenson f. A sonnet by William Shakespeare g. “Psalm 23” by King David Dialogue Looking at of the textual content Chanting of the text Unlocking vocabulary Purpose taking part in Pair perform Synthesizing as a result of slogan Create a critique paper 3 hrs
7. Shorter Story a. Nature and types b. Aspects Discussion Diagramming Library analysis 2 hours
8. Examining and talking about/ examining of samples: a. “How My Brother Leon Introduced Home a Wife” by Manuel Arguilla b. “Harvest” by Loreto Paras Sulit c. “Footnote to Youth” by Jose Garcia Villa d. “The Girl and the Tiger” Anonymous e. “The Reward of the Magi” by O. Henry f. “The Necklace” by Guy de Maupassant Literary map Assumed bubbles Comics strip Movie poster Radio drama Skit Function participating in Tableaux Dialogue Create a critique paper
9. Novel a. Mother nature and varieties b. Features Dialogue diagramming 2 several hours
10. Studying and speaking about/examining of samples: a. An excerpt from America is in the Heart by Carlos Bulosan b. The Pearl by John Steinbeck Literary map Believed bubbles Comics strip Film poster Radio drama Skit Function actively playing Tableaux Discussion Write a critique paper
11. Drama a. Mother nature and forms b. Components Discussion Pair do the job Jigsaw puzzle 2 hours
12. Reading and discussing/examining of samples: a. “The World is an Apple” by Alberto Florentino b. “New Yorker in Tondo” by Marcelino Angana Thought bubbles Comics strip Motion picture poster Radio drama Skit Purpose playing Write a critique paper Tableaux Dialogue
4 several hours 13. Essay a. Mother nature and sorts b. Features Discussion Diagramming 2 hrs
14. Looking at and speaking about and examining of samples: a. “Heritage of Smallness” (an excerpt) by Nick Joaquin b. “On Having a Stomach” by Lin Yutang c. “Of Research” by Francis Bacon Mock debate Pair do the job Buzz group dialogue Slogan creating Discussion Publish a critique paper 4 hrs
15. Culminating Activity through a Assortment Demonstrate of: a. Poetry recitation of “Halting By the Woods on a Snowy Evening” b. Skit or Dramatization of “New Yorker in Tondo” c. Choral Recitation of “God Stated I Built a Gentleman” Variety show Poetry recitation Dramatization Choral recitation 3 hrs